Caramulo: The Village, and the Family Museum
The location of Caramulo born in 1921, on the southern slope of the Sierra of the same name as a result of the initiative of a physician, Jeronimo de Lacerda, from nothing, created the country's largest resort sanatorium and the Iberian Peninsula. Magnificent piece of urban infrastructure endowed only in Portugal, at that time. In 1938 already have piped water at home, an exemplary network of urban sewage and its treatment plant, waste collection system in crematorium, electricity produced from hydro itself, as well as an unusual urban planning, with wide roads with sidewalks, parks and public gardens of incomparable beauty and in a proportion never seen before.
Against this backdrop, in 1921 and 1923, two children born of Dr. Jerome de Lacerda, and John Abel Aware that medical progress would dictate the end of the treatment center while Caramulo, Abel, who trod a career in economics, and his brother John, a doctor, start looking for ideas to ensure the survival of their land and the continuation of the work inherited. They decide to set the transformation of existing structures in tourism altitude and remove the name Caramulo the epithet of disease, making the scene in a pole of attraction serrano cultural and artistic.
It is with this in mind that Abel and João de Lacerda, founded in the fifties, an unusual museum, situated on a mountain in central Portugal, with lush vegetation, facing south, on a 80 km long valley: the wider picture the country.
Abel Lacerda, passionate for art, build a building with modern concepts of museology, to expose an unusual collection of art objects made up of 500 pieces of painting, sculpture, furniture, ceramics and tapestries, ranging from Roman times up Picasso.
João de Lacerda, in love with cars, build another building attached to the first, designed to expose 100 cars and motorcycles, on the principle that all cars could be easily removed, for display and preservation.
With the untimely death of Abel de Lacerda in 1957, created the Foundation Abel Lacerda - today Abel Foundation and John de Lacerda - owner of two museums of Art and Cars, open to the public throughout the year. More than 1 million visitors entered this half century, the Museum of Caramulo.
The building planned by Abel Lacerda, to house the precious antiques donated, was inaugurated by the President in 1959, having been one of the first museums designed and made in Portugal with all requirements of modern museology.